Additional Resources for Support Group Leaders
There are many foster, adoptive and kinship support groups held throughout Iowa. Those support groups would not exist without the hard work and dedication of the support group leaders. IFAPA provides support to the support group leaders in the following ways:
- An annual $100 grant for your support group.
- Free training opportunities for support groups (instructor-lead trainings and DVD trainings)
- Maintaining a support group listserv for communication opportunities amongst fellow leaders.
- Promoting support group locations and upcoming trainings on our website. If you would like your upcoming support group trainings added to the IFAPA website or if you would like a training for your support group, please complete IFAPA's upcoming training form.
How to Make Your Support Group an IFAPA Affiliate
IFAPA will provide a grant in the amount of $100 to new foster/adoptive/kinship support groups when they become an affiliate and $100 per year thereafter, as funds allow. Applications received after November 30, 2012 will receive a $50 grant and can can apply for the full grant amount in the next fiscal year (after July 1, 2013). The affiliate must complete an application every year in order to continue receiving funding.
If you would like to receive a support group grant and take advantage of IFAPA's support group resources, please complete the AFFILIATE APPLICATION and print off a copy of our SUPPORT GROUP AFFILIATE AGREEMENT.
IFAPA Staff Are Here to Help You Make Your Support Group a Success!
Once you have become an IFAPA-affiliated support group, here's a list of ways IFAPA can help you with your support group:
- To book an IFAPA training for your support group or to promote your upcoming trainings on the IFAPA website, please complete our online form. Questions? Contact Hiliary Burns (800-277-8145 ext. 2 / email@example.com).
- For support group affiliate grant-related questions, contact Phyllis Pierce (800-277-8145 ext. 4 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For additional support from a seasoned support group leader or to sign up for our support group list-serv, contact Nancy Magnall, one of IFAPA's Resource Information Specialists, who has over 15 years of experience facilitating her own local support group. Nancy can be reached at 877-467-4100 or email@example.com.
Support Group Listserv
IFAPA maintains a listserv exclusively for support group leaders across the state to connect and exchange information. The listserv is available to share ideas, provide notice of events and training opportunities, and to ask and respond to questions about support group facilitation. All members have the opportunity to post information or questions. Members also have the opportunity to share their expertise by answering questions or responding to information submitted by other listserv members.
IFAPA staff member Nancy Magnall is the listserv moderator. All postings come to her for approval and she forwards them to the other members of the group. If you are in a leadership role with a foster/adoptive parent support group and would like to become a member of the IFAPA support group listserv, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be added to the membership list.
Nancy Magnall, one of IFAPA's Resource Information Specialists, has 15 years of experience facilitating her own local support group. If you have additional questions about operating a support group, contact Nancy at 877-467-4100 or email@example.com.