Additional Resources for Support Group Leaders
There are many foster, adoptive and kinship support groups held throughout Iowa. Those support groups would not exist without the hard work and dedication of the support group leaders. IFAPA assists support group leaders in the following ways:
- IFAPA provides free training opportunities for your support group (instructor-led trainings and DVD trainings) Training requests must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the anticipated training date.
- IFAPA promotes your support group on our website.
- IFAPA posts your upcoming support group trainings on our website.
- IFAPA can provide up to $100 of financial assistance for certain support group needs. Please see the IFAPA Support Group Payment Form below for the specifics on the financial assistance available.
IFAPA Staff Are Here to Help You Make Your Support Group a Success!
Here's a list of ways IFAPA can help you with your support group:
- To update your support group information on IFAPA's website, complete this form. Questions? Contact Crystal Thomason (800-277-8145 ext. 5 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To request an IFAPA training for your support group, complete this form. Questions? Contact Julie Clark-Albrecht (800-277-8145 ext. 2 / email@example.com).
- To advertise a non-IFAPA training on IFAPA's website, please complete our online form. Questions? Contact Crystal Thomason (800-277-8145 ext. 5 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Starting and Nurturing Adoptive Parent Groups: A Guide for Leaders
(Produced by the North American Council on Adoptable Children)
This guide for new and experienced parent group leaders covers topics such as becoming a leader, developing group identity, managing meetings, filing for tax-exempt status, and rejuvenating a struggling group. Along with sample forms and letters, the publication offers helpful tips and stories of how other groups creatively solved problems.